What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For Me!











Regardless of your fitness goals, it's critical to take the time to educate yourself on proper nutrition. Nutrition is a major part of every human beings life. Anything done as frequently as consuming food should be understood on a higher level. Take a bit of time to learn what you are eating; after all, you are what you eat. I would recommend checking out one of the many documentaries on the current food industry and its future. I personally like to stick to natural, non-processed foods. After making the switch to high quality foods, I have yet to find a person who has had regret other than wishing they had made the switch sooner.

Don't get me wrong, creating a quality nutrition plan that works for you is no easy task. However, it's an essential part to any successful exercise program.

I eat 6-8 small meals spaced between 2.5-3.5 hours throughout the day. Each meal contains a protein, carbohydrate and fat source. The ratios of each are determined by body weight and goals at that time. There is plenty of debate on the correct ratios for each. I keep protein between 1-1.5 grams per pound of body weight. Carbohydrates are typically between 0.8-1.8 grams per pound of body weight. Fats are roughly between 0.2-0.35 grams per pound of body weight. I like to incorporate carbohydrate cycling in my nutrition plan.


If I'm in a muscle-building phase I lower my protein and fat amounts and increase my carbohydrate amounts. I then do five high carbohydrate days and two reduced carbohydrate days. Ideally keeping reduced carbohydrate days on non-training days. When I am in a dieting or cutting phase, I increase my protein and fat sources and lower my carbohydrate sources. I then do five low carbohydrate days and two high carbohydrate days.

There is one way to determine what ratio works best for you and that is by using trial and error. Determine your goal, track your nutrients and adjust them based upon the results. Yes, it can be mind boggling at first, but like anything the more you do it the easier it becomes.

Carbohydrate sources:

Oatmeal, yams, bananas, fruit juice, fruit, vegetables, whole wheat flour, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat breads

Protein sources:

Chicken, venison, fish, turkey, beef, eggs, cottage cheese

Fat sources:

Fish oil, flax oil, olive oil, almonds

I like to eat whole foods as much as possible. I still use supplements when I need to, but I use them as a supplement not a replacement.

Meal 1:

1 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup fat free cottage cheese
1.5 scoops whey protein
20 oz green tea

Meal 2:

1/2 cup oatmeal
3 oz chicken
Vegetables
20 oz green tea

Meal 3:

6 oz chicken
5 oz yam
Vegetables
20 oz green tea

Meal 4: (Pre-Workout)

1 scoop whey protein
1 cup grape juice

Meal: 5 (Post-Workout)

1.5 scoop whey protein
1 scoop waxy maize

Meal: 6

6 oz chicken
5 oz yam
Vegetables
20 oz green tea

Meal 7:

3 oz chicken
Vegetables
20 oz green tea

Meal 8:

1 scoop casein protein
1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese

For supplementation I stick to the basics and proven supplements. I use the following:

Whey Protein
Casein Protein
Flax Seed (whole)
Fish Oil
GlycoMaize or Dextrose
Multivitamin
Caffeine
Green Tea
HMB ( protects muscle from being used as fuel during training )
Glutamine