Don't Beat Yourself Up- A Post from the Mrs.


Hello fitness community! I'm sure my husband will be shocked to see I'm posting given my hectic schedule while he is away, however I felt compelled to share a recent epiphany. We all encounter challenges in our busy schedules that prevent us from enjoying personal time, perhaps steering us away from our fitness regimens. My resolve: DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP. Last week, I began a research study in a daycare center about an hour from my home. After working all day, then commuting to the site for data collection, I found myself exhausted and in no condition to train. Rather than allow myself to be overwhelmed with disappointment and frustration, I simply let it go and planned my program for the next week to better accommodate my new schedule. See, two days a week I am away from home for about 16 hours (each day). SO, I designated these my "off days" and have planned my training around them. On the days I am able to train, my time is limited so I am experimenting with a new routine. Day 1: Chest and Biceps, Day 2: Legs and Back, Day 3: Shoulders and Triceps, Day 4: Full body circuit, Day 5: OFF, Day 6: Cardio (1 hour), Day 7: OFF. By scheduling my workouts this way, I do not stress about when and how I will train- allowing me to commit more time and energy to my responsibilities and avoid distractions. I am the type of person who needs a clear mind whenever embarking on an assignment- personal, professional, or fitness related. This week I have found myself much more energized and focused. So, I offer as advice to those who are struggling to stay the course in their fitness endeavors: make a schedule for yourself that you feel you can stick to. Schedule fitness into your life as if it were an appointment you can not afford to miss. And, if you find yourself facing new challenges- DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP. There is no such thing as failure- only feedback. Welcome the opportunity to try something new.